This is probably one of the questions I get asked the most. How to make your makeup last longer? When I am doing a clients makeup I always take the necessary precaution to make sure that their makeup is going to last as long as possible. If you follow me on Snapchat (which all of you should! – MakeupBySehar) you know that I always snap at the end of the day after an event and show that my makeup is still on point.
I’ve divided the points into three sections, before applying makeup, during applying makeup and after you’ve applied your make.
- Prep your skin!
- It is so important to prep your skin prior to applying any makeup. I always tell my clients to have their skin Washed, Toned and Moisturize. This helps create a blank canvas on your skin. It is harder for makeup to go on top of skin that is dull and dry.
2. Prime your face!
- I love primers! Not only do they make your makeup adhere better to you skin, depending on the primer they also fill in your pores and make your makeup last longer. Some of my favorite ones include Benefit Porefessional, Too Faced Hangover Primer, Make Up For Ever Step 1 Equalizer Primer and the Revlon primer. Make sure you let the primer absorb for at least two minutes prior to applying foundation.
3. Prime your Eyelids
- Priming your eyes is just as important as priming your face. If you don’t own an eye primer you can also use your concealer and set it with a powder after. Please note there is a difference between an eye shadow primer and a glitter primer. An eye shadow primer goes on before the eye shadow. A glitter primer can be applied on top of the eye shadow prior to putting glitter on top. I would suggest doing one eye at a time. Some of my favorite shadow primer includes Urban Decay primer potion, Elizabeth Mott eye shadow primer, Benefit CC eye primer and Essence eye primer. Two of my favorite glitter primers are the NYX Glitter primer and the Elf Glitter Primer.
- Long wear or Waterproof Foundation
- Use a foundation that is formulated for long wear or is waterproof. I find liquid foundations last the longest on the skin without moving. Some of my favorite long wear foundations include Kat Von D, Too Faced Born This Way, L’Oreal Infallible
2. Applying Foundation
- When I know I will be wearing my makeup for 8+ hours I like putting my liquid foundation on with a Beauty Blender. I like spraying my already damp beauty blender with a bit of setting spray prior to picking up foundation. This helps with the longevity of the foundation plus it helps the foundation sheer out a little so it doesn’t look cakey on the skin.
- Setting Powder
It is so important to set your liquid/cream makeup with powder. Setting powder helps lock in your foundation so it doesn’t move. I love using a pressed powder foundation to set my liquid if I think I need extra coverage. Usually on my clients I use a translucent powder so it doesn’t change the colour of their foundation. Some of my favorite setting powders include the Make Up For Ever HD Setting Powder, IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Setting Powder and the Elf Setting Powder. You can also use translucent powder on top of a lipstick to mattify and make the lipstick last longer. You can also use translucent powder on top of your mascara, at the ends of your lashes if you have issues with your mascara smudging throughout the day.
- Setting Spray
I love using setting sprays as the final step in my makeup routine. It helps set all the powder and makes your face look less cakey. Some of my favorite setting spray include Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray, L’Oreal Setting Spray and the Make Up For Ever Mist and fix.
I hope you enjoyed this blog. Let me know your favorite tip to make your makeup last longer.